When we turn the pages of the history of Madras Catholic Directory dating back to 1851 , we learn that there were eight English medium Schools which were imparting free education for boys and girls separately. The schools run for the boys were located at Armanian Street, Royapuram , New Town, St. Thomas Mount and Pallavaram. The other three schools for the girls were at Maclean Street, St. Thomas mount and Pallavaram. Goiong by history, the present St. Josephs Anglo-Indian Boys School was once called New Town Catholic School. Rev. Fr. Felise and Italian capuchin priest was the pioneer, who purchased nearly 70,554 Sq.ft. of land on 11th June 1825. he built St. Andrews church at Kalathiappa Street, which was the first church in Vepery and thus entire making Vepery was a strong Roman Catholic centre.